Friday, January 7, 2011

Still in start-up mode

Monday we moved to KIST - to the guesthouse for visiting faculty.  There is one other person living there now, a man from South Korea who teaches electrical engineering (I think).  We do not yet have internet access there; my posting to this blog will be infrequent until I have regular access to the internet.  Today we are at the US Embassy for the third consecutive day in our efforts to get a work visa.  Right now we're at the embassy because it is right next to the immigration office so after submitting our papers we came here to use the internet.  I think we  now have all the papers that we need submitted, and we should receive our visas next week.  Tomorrow or Monday I will learn my teaching assignment; I hope it is differential equations, since that is what I am prepared to teach.

The weather here is amazing - warm and sunny in the morning, an afternoon shower, and pleasantly cool at night.  The food is good; we ate in the KIST student cafeteria yesterday - there is a large assortment of cooked vegetables (all you want), and a piece of meat, all for the equivalent of $1.70.   We've met many people - I am having trouble remembering so many names.  I am looking forward to starting classes- that happens next week.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from wintery Nebraska,

    Tom put me onto this blog and I have enjoyed reading so far. I am excited for you in this wonderful adventure!

    Happy Birthday to Ron this week! I'm sure that whatever you do for your birthday, it will be
    new and different than how you usually celebrate.

    I'm looking forward to the updates as they come!

    ReplyDelete