Friday, February 4, 2011

Election Day

Today local elections were held.  There was a great deal of discussion all week about whether classes would be cancelled because people would be returning to their villages to vote.  Last night the Vice Rector Academic sent an email to the entire KIST community saying that people should vote early and that all classes should be held.  I held my class - it meets once a week, on Fridays, from 10 to 1 - I really did not want to miss an entire week of class.  I had over half the class 24 of 42 students, and we had a scheduled quiz.  Also I have been struggling to get students to turn in homework and today they did so I was very glad I had held class.  It was actually a very good class - a much better size.  And several stayed a little late to teach me some more Kinyarwanda.  I learned

icyumweru kiza = Have a nice weekend
muryoherwe = enjoy the meal
nawe = and you too

They had already taught me

ni ah'ubutaha = see you later

Here is a picture of the other class.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing what sounds like an incredible experience, Jeanne! I look forward to hearing more about your time at KIST :)

    ReplyDelete