Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bargaining

There are more people living in the guesthouse:  Toma, who teaches in the school of architecture and is visiting from Italy, and Christoph and Irene who are from Germany.  Christoph teaches physics and Irene teaches computer science.  It is great having more people here - there are 10 rooms here plus public space, and we were sort of rattling around.  Yesterday we went out to lunch with Christoph Irene, Irina and Elena at Shokola which is a Moroccan restaurant.  It was very pleasant, and good food, but Toma had warned us that this might be the world's slowest restaurant - we were there about 3 1/2 hours - just for lunch.  Afterward we went to a very small market and bought a few mangos.  I asked the young man selling them how much they were; he said 250 francs and the 3 girls with him burst out laughing.  So Irene asked them what a reasonable price was and they said 200 francs.  I'm sure that was high but it's about 35 cents and that was just fine with me - the only time I am effective at bargaining is when I don't want the object at all so I just keep saying no and the seller keeps lowering the price.

Now we have mangos, and also avocados but those are from the trees on campus.  I love having all these avocado trees around.

No comments:

Post a Comment