Sunday, February 13, 2011

Another blog from KIST

Christoph and Irene also have a blog - and with lots of great pictures.  Here is the link:
http://africa.markelic.de/

Yesterday we spent about 3 hours walking around Kigali, in areas we had not visited before.  We walked past a manufacturing  cooperative where people were making furniture, metal items, other stuff:  it was like a large, open warehouse.  In different sections people were working on making different things.  Much of the metalwork was being made from old steel drums, so it was also a recycling plant.  We walked through residential neighborhoods, on the paths that go through them.  It was down hill and up hill and down hill and up hill and then up hill some more - at about the 3 hour mark, a taxi drove by and we hailed it and went to the market at Amahoro and bought vegetables.  I bought some peppers from the same person from whom I had bought broccoli last time; he remembered me and said I am a regular customer and gave me a good price.  I think that is the way to go - become a regular customer of a few people.

It absolutely poured rain late in the afternoon.  Our rooms on the second floor are right under the metal roof so the rain sounds even louder there than outside.  We had a reservation at Heaven - Saturday night they show a movie and we decided it was time for hamburgers and a movie.  The movie was "You will meet a tall dark stranger" - good fun.

I am preparing to plant a garden.  This afternoon I hope to look for seeds and a small gardening tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment