Wednesday, May 4, 2011

End of Semester

I gave my final exams last Friday (29 April - I'm working on the practice here of writing dates day/month/year) and now I am marking them.  Every aspect of academic life is more bureaucratic here:  for final grades, first I compute them, then they go to the department head, then to a department committee, then to the examination office, then to the senate:  I'm not totally sure what happens at each stage, but it appears to be some approval process.  With all this, the students do not find out their grades until the middle or end of next semester.  Most of the students did ok (that means C or better).

We have  had no electricity and no water since yesterday (Tuesday) morning and it is unknown how long this situation will last.  This is a supplier problem and affects a fairly large region of Kigali near KIST.  Apparently a cable burned up.  Only some of KIST is affected (but that part includes my office and the guesthouse) - I am using the office of a friend to charge up everything.   The water problem is because the guesthouse has an electric pump.  I may go investigate the opportunities for using the fitness and pool facilities that are available at several local hotels.  I keep reminding myself that no running water and no electricity is daily life for 90% of Rwandans.

No comments:

Post a Comment