Saturday, March 12, 2011

My math majors

A little more from class:  this is my class of math majors taking differential equations. 
They are taking a quiz in this first picture. 
The students are very strong and eager to learn.  I plan to ask permission to photocopy a couple of completed homework assignments as examples of what well-done homework   should look like.  This group has class from 8 to 11 Friday mornings – three hours is a lot for just listening to lectures so we vary the activities – I present new material and do some problems, then ask them to work in groups on a  problem.  They really do this well – they are very good at working collectively and really stick to the task at hand and also explain the material to any in the group who do not understand.  Here's one group: 
And another

They also enjoy presenting the completed problem to the class. 
My taking a camera to class was a big event, so many wanted pictures of me with them.  I have really enjoyed teaching these students and will be sad to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment